How to Recover Files from RAW External Drive?
External drives are mainly used to backup the important data. It is similar to the computer hard drive that comes with large storage capacity and stores all your valuable data such as office documents, photos, songs, videos, etc. Though external disks serve several user purposes, you have to be careful whilst using them. It is because these storage drives containing valuable data is prone to damage/corruption which in turn leads to turning the drive into a RAW state.
Consider a real-time scenario: "When I connected my external disk to PC to retrieve some files, but it was unable to identify the connected drive on my system. It indicates that the drive has turned RAW and because of this, I'm unable to access any data saved in it. Can anyone suggest me the best way to revive files from the RAW external drive?"
When the file system of your external HDD gets damaged, it enters to a RAW state. The RAW storage drive will not be recognized when connected to the system and data becomes inaccessible. The computer fails to read or identify the file system on the disk and hence the entire hard drive data remains inaccessible at the user end. Also, a RAW hard disk always indicates that data in it is 0 bytes or sector not found.
What makes the External drive to turn RAW?
- Disk corruption: The HDD becomes RAW mainly due to corruption or structural damages occurred to the drive file system
- Bad sectors on the drive: Disk data will remain inaccessible due to the formation of severe bad sectors on the drive
- Sudden System Shutdown: RAW file system error is also likely to arise due to power outages or abrupt system shut down while accessing the drive data
- Improper Handling: When the external HD is not handled in a proper way the drive turns RAW. For example, ejecting the HD drive without using "Safely Remove Hardware" option, then there is a chance that your drive display 0 bytes even though data is present in it
- Virus Invasion: If the external drive is affected by the virus then there is a chance that it might corrupt the file system structure and hence the drive becomes RAW
Whenever your external drive becomes RAW it shows 0 bytes. The computer fails to recognize the file system on the drive and it displays various error messages. Though the drive displays 0 bytes, the data still resides on the external drive. You can proceed to format the drive to get rid of the RAW file system issue. However, all the data in it will be erased. Some users unintendedly format the RAW drive and wipe all the disk data. Well, it is possible to get off the data from the external drive data even whether if formatted or not. To retrieve data from a RAW drive you need to employ the powerful disk recovery utility like Recover External Drive software.
Recover files from RAW external drive with free External Drive Recovery Software
Recover External Drive is the proficient tool built using the advanced algorithms that extract the RAW drive data efficiently. This application is driven by a powerful scanning engine, that scans the RAW drive automatically and instantly gets back all the files from it. With the aid of this program, you can restore data from corrupted external hard drive on all versions of Windows and Mac OS including Windows 10, macOS High Sierra, Sierra and their older versions too.
Notable features of the External Drive Recovery Tool
- It can easily retrieve data from Samsung HDD, Seagate, Maxtor, Toshiba, WD, and many more brands
- Supports drives formatted with any of FAT16, FAT32, NTFS, HFS, HFS+, exFAT, and NTFS5 file systems
- Helps to get back data from memory cards, USB drives, internal hard disk, SSD, etc. within a fraction of seconds
- You can also preview the recovered files using preview feature provided in the demo version
- Recovers all types of documents, images, videos, songs, and other media files
- Assures no damages/modifications to the original file contents
- Displays a preview of the regained files in two distinct layouts
Steps to recover files from RAW external drive
Step 1: Connect the RAW drive to the system where the Recover External Drive software is installed.
Step 2: Select the Recover Partitions option from the main screen.
Step 3: Locate the RAW drive from the list of available drives and hit on the Scan icon.
Fig A: Main Window
Step 4: The tool starts to scan the RAW drive.
Fig B: Scanning in Progress
Step 5: Check for the scan results in Data View or File Type View layouts, at the end of the scan process.
Fig C: List of Restored Files
Step 6: You can mark the required files for saving after previewing them.
Fig D: Preview Recovered Files
Step 7: Specify the destination location to save the files regained from the RAW drive. Click on the Save button.
Fig E: Save the Recovered Data