How to Recover Files off Bad Hard Drive?
When you buy a new external hard drive, you expect it to be a durable backup device that lasts long for many years. But, external hard disk drives go bad and stop working for a number of reasons like wear and tear, dust, heat, bad sectors and the list goes on. If you prevent an external hard drive from going bad, you can save the loss of important data.
It’s good to learn to identify the warning signs/symptoms of external hard drive failures to protect the data before it could get lost from it. If you suspect that your external hard disk may be going bad, you can look for a few key signs as explained below-
- Strange Noises: Usually external hard drives make noise, but when it goes bad you notice weird grinding, humming or thrashing noises. This problem normally happens because of read/write head crash, mechanical or physical defects, frequent power failures, etc.
- Disappeared/altered data: You may find that file content, file names or other information on the external hard drive are changed and files are refusing to open. Also, you can notice missing important files from external hard drive all of a sudden due to virus attacks, hard drive problems, human errors or other causes. In such cases, go for scanning external hard drive with a good antivirus program to remove harmful threats. If no viruses are found, then you need to understand that it is a clear sign of hard drive failure that might strike very soon
- Unrecognized External HDD: If your computer fails to recognize the external hard drive when you connect it for file transfer, then it means that there external hard drive has problems with it. If you think you have a problem with your computer, you can test your external HDD on other healthy PC
- Slow Data Access: It should not take hours together to open files and folders from your external hard disk drive when you connect it to the computer, then it is going to fail within the duration of a month or two for sure
- Disk Errors: Another sign of bad HD comes in the form of errors or warning messages from Windows PC when you attach an external hard drive for data access or transfer files. Your computer might pop-up an error message like “Disk is not formatted. Do want to format it now?” and other errors due to bad sectors, file system corruption, incorrect formatting, etc. If you proceed to format the drive then all the files on the drive will be straightaway wiped
How to access bad external drive data?
When an external hard drive goes bad it can lead to the loss of thousands of digital photos, movies, music, work documents, emails, software, games, interesting e-books and so on. Therefore it's better to maintain a backup of your important hard drive data after experiencing any of the above-mentioned symptoms and then start identifying the cause for it. Despite the best efforts, external hard drives still fail irrespective of what the user does to prevent it from going bad.
Best solution to retrieve bad hard drive data- You need a reliable external drive file recovery software to retrieve all your vital files from the bad HD. You can recover complete files lost/inaccessible from bad external HDD without any difficulty by utilizing the tool named Recover External Drive.
Bad external hard drive recovery
The Recover External Drive is a significant tool used to restore data from a bad HDD in an effortless way. It is integrated with eminent algorithms that deep scans the bad hard drive and extracts all the data from it. The tool creates a disk image of the hard drive and retrieves data without affecting the original file structure or the contents.
- It scans your bad external hard disk to identify and recover around 300 file types based on their unique file signatures
- Best suited tool for rescuing lost data from external drive after accidental formatting, reformatting, repartitioning errors, file system corruption, virus infections, and other issues.
- Helps to retrieve files from raw external hard drive with ease
- Supports all disk file systems- FAT, exFAT, NTFS, HFS, and HFS+
- Performs data restoration from all brands of external HD drives- Seagate, Iomega, Western Digital, Maxtor, LaCie, Lexar, Toshiba, Samsung, and others without taking much time. one can utilize this tool effectively in restoring lost files from Hitachi external disk drive
- Other than external hard drives, it also helps to restore PC hard drive, USB drives, flash memory cards, iPods and SSD with ease
- Compatible till the latest edition of Windows OS
- Apart from Windows, you can use this tool to perform external HDD data recovery on Mac OS X High Sierra, Sierra, El Capitan, Mavericks, Yosemite, Leopard, Snow Leopard, and Lion
Steps to recover files from bad external hard drive
Step 1: Run the Recover External Drive software on your system. Connect the bad drive to it.
Step 2: Select Recover Partitions option that is given on the main screen.
Step 3: Locate the bad HDD from the list of logical drives. Click on the Scan icon.
Fig A: Main Window
Step 4: The status of data recovery from the bad hard drive will be displayed on the main screen.
Fig B: Scanning in Progress
Step 5: A list of all the recovered files will be displayed in Data View and File Type View layouts.
Fig C: List of Restored Files
Step 6: Preview the file items and continue to mark the essential files for saving.
Fig D: Preview Recovered Files
Step 7: Browse a suitable drive location to save the restored from the bad hard drive data.
Fig E: Save the Recovered Data